Thursday 7 April 2016

What to wear on an interview

So apparently you have about seven seconds to make a good first impression at a job interview.  And the impression you make actually influences your audience more than what you say. It's not everything, but it's highly important to make sure that you are professional and taken seriously. Once you have got their attention, they will listen to what you have to say.

So how do you make sure that you look professional on an interview?


Easy! Make sure you stick to the classics and don't go overboard on anything. A simple black, navy or grey suit is the perfect attire for a businesswoman, and you can make it a bit less boring with a colourful shirt. Make sure your shirt still fits the classic style, no crazy patterns, no oversized styles. Make sure to keep the colours quite muted as well.

As for shoes, heels are an essential for me when I attend an interview. They give the attire an overall professional look and they make me feel much more confident and correct my posture. I always pair it with a bag that can fit an A4 sized folder in it to fit my notes in. This one is from Zara and I absolutely love it!

You should always keep your accessories quite minimal. I feel like a subtle necklace and some very minimal earrings are more than enough. But never underestimate the power of a good watch! It dresses you up in a very professional way, it makes you look like you've put an effort into dressing up in the morning. You will never see a serious business man or woman without a watch on.


As for make up, all those hours watching "no make-up make-up" tutorials will finally pay off when going on an interview. All in all, the more you can make yourself look like a better version of you, without making it obvious you're wearing make up, the better. I tend to only use a subtle highlighter-contour duo on my eyelids, just to give them a bit of a glow and subtle definition. Don't go too harsh on your eyebrows or your contour, as this will really emphasise that you're wearing a lot of make up. For lips, I like to stick with those amazing "your lips but better" colours. Nothing fake. And if you are travelling for your interview, or have to wait a while after you got ready, it's a good idea to use a setting spray to make sure everything stays where it's supposed to be. I always like to make sure my nails are taken care of as well because it shows your attention to detail. But it will come as no surprise that I will suggest going for a very neutral, if not clear nail polish.

And my best tips for last: right before the interview, go in the bathroom, or a hidden corner, and stand up like Wonderwoman for two minutes. You will walk in the room confidently, with a straight back and a smile on your face, I promise. Now, go knock them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment