Thursday 10 March 2016

The Kitchen Edit

When you live in a rented flat and you can’t change up furniture, large appliances or even the colour of the walls, small accessories play a key role in making the space feel yours. Let’s face it, the kitchen is not the most exciting room to decorate, but we use it every day and some objects are even displayed to our guests. It is especially important to pay some attention to decorating a kitchen if you live in an open plan house and you can’t close the door to hide the mess.

Tableware

I think one of the most important thing to upgrade in your kitchen is your tableware. This is something you use everyday and it will also show up in your dining room, living room and even your bedroom if you had a cheeky breakfast (or dinner!) in bed. Not to mention you can't throw a dinner party without some cool tableware!



One of my favourite kitchenware purchases are these mason jars from Lakeland. They look adorable displayed on a mug tree and they quite quirky with the gold stripy straws, that I got from Tiger. Love love love!

Small Appliances



Movie night? Film Marathon? What better to make the night complete than your own popcorn maker. Little quirky appliances like this will definitely impress your guests, not to mention popcorn is a great choice of snacks! Other appliances that would make your guests jaws drop? Chocolate fountain, ice cream maker, juicer, waffle maker, pancake maker and I've also come across a snow cone maker! I have to admit, I want them all!




The MOST useful appliance in the kitchen (at least for me) is the coffee machine. I mean. It's a life saver in the morning and a beautiful treat in the afternoon. This particular machine was a pricy little bugger, but it was so worth it. It's called the Barista Express made by a company called Sage by Heston Blumenthal and I believe it retails for around £550. I know, I know... A Nespresso is much cheaper and it does all the work for you. I'm not exactly a barista, but I'm slowly learning to make different drinks and it's just so satisfying (and delicious!) to make your own coffee.


Storage



One of the most important things in a kitchen is good storage. You will want to hide the cans, the bags and the boxes, but some edible things actually look awesome displayed. Get some handy little Kilner jars and fill them with sweets, rice, tea and coffee or even pasta! Both handy and decorative!


Decoration

Decoration-wise I like to keep it simple. You don't want a lot of clutter in your kitchen, otherwise you won't have the space to work. I only like to decorate here with stuff I actually use, like cute mugs, a chalkboard, maybe a fruit bowl. Saying that I do have a couple of small cacti living in the kitchen and I will never say no to lighting a candle. And of course, if you can decorate your walls, you will have more options to chose from.


Until next time! xx


1 comment:

  1. This is such a good advice, great post. Would you like to follow each other on BLOGLOVIN? If you decided to follow me, please let me know so I can follow you back. xoxo

    www.love-joice.com

    ReplyDelete